Suu-Va Tai (the Director of Disaster Volunteer & Preparedness with CaliforniaVolunteers which is a division of the California Citizen Corps) has invited us to this year’s CERT Disaster Response Workshop.
Your SLO Regional CERT Officer’s will be attending online via Adobe Connect; feel free to join in too.
Date and Location
The CERT Disaster Response Workshop will be held on Tuesday, April 17th, 2018 at the Pasadena University Club located at 175 North Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91101. The workshop will start at 8am with registration starting at 7:30am. The workshop will end at 4:30pm.
- 7:30am to 8:00am – Workshop Registration (Just sign in at the front table)
- 8:00am to 9:45am – Welcome, introductions, and safety briefing
- 9:00am – 9:30am – How to prep your volunteers to engage people with Access and Functional Needs and other Disabilities during a disaster. This session is presented by Vance Taylor, AFN Chief at Cal OES.
- 10:00am to 12:00pm – Disaster Service Worker Volunteer Program Presentation and Q& A. This session is led by Anita Chant and Kathryn Chin who are the program managers for the DSWVP at Cal OES.
- 12:00pm – 12:45pm Lunch and Networking
- 12:45pm – 1:00pm Listos presentation
- 1:00pm – 2:00pm – 10 minute presentations from various CERT programs in CA regarding their recent disaster deployments
- 2:00pm – 2:30pm – Panel discussion on Advanced CERT Training
- 2:30pm -3:00pm – Panel discussion on Background checks
- 3:00pm – 3:30pm – Panel discussion on call-out/dispatch methods and deployment procedures
- 3:00pm -4:00pm – Volunteer Activities and Supervision
- 4:00pm – 4:30pm Q&A and closing
During the panel discussions, CERT programs in the audience will be able to share their experiences as well (time permitting).
We have arranged a room block at the Residence Inn Pasadena Marriot Hotel at the state government rate of $120.00 (before taxes and fees). The hotel has set up the following link to book the hotel at the $120 state rate (before taxes and fees). You may also call the Marriott reservation line at 1-844-617-0544, but and refer to “Cal Gov OES” for the rate.
We have arranged for valet parking at the University Club. This service is already pre-paid. There should be enough room in the parking lot for everyone to park their cars.
Food and Beverages
The workshop is sponsored by SoCal Gas. There will be coffee, tea, and water in the morning. For lunch there will be a Panini buffet and salads.